Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Power Elite

Today I ran across an article that has me thinking about my place in the world. The article, which can be found here: http://www.newsweek.com/id/130637/page/1, talks about how a very select group of people (approximately 6,000) have a vast amount of influence over millions of people.

This has me thinking of the 2 things it takes to get to this level, power and money. These are both things that I do not have, and the more I think about it, I do not desire them. What I want are the ability to control my little corner of the world, to support my loved ones, and to work at a job I enjoy. I don't need to control the lives of others, nor do I need the responsibility that comes with it. I am content with my life as it is proceeding now, and reject the assertion made by society that I have to crawl over everyone and everything in my path to the top. A Gulfstream V is nice, but I like my world the way it is, I'll pretend to be a prince of the world when I go on a cruise or on vacation at a resort. I'm content to be master of the 60 miles that I travel every day, raising my child and loving my wife, and maintaining my home. These are the things that truly make me happy.

Read the article, it is interesting



What Power Looks Like
They ride on Gulfstreams, set the global agenda, and manage the credit crunch in their spare time. They have more in common with each other than their countrymen. Meet the Superclass.

By David Rothkopf NEWSWEEK
Apr 14, 2008 Issue

http://www.newsweek.com/id/130637/page/1

No comments: